1. I met my husband Austin on his 15th birthday; the same day his then straight edge punk band, Point of Order, got a new PA. He is the funniest, kindest person I know. Thin Lizzy is his all-time favorite band (and maybe mine too?).
2. I have three younger sisters. Zoey, the youngest, is 14. She is a jam.
3. My car is a beautiful 1983 Mercedes-Benz Turbo Diesel wagon named Brownie. It will run on waste vegetable oil as soon as the European conversion kit that’s been sitting in my house for the past six months gets installed. Austin drives a 1982 Benz Diesel coupe that already runs on veggie oil.
4. The bathroom policy at our house: If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down. I’m just keepin’ it real, people. This is one of our many feeble attempts at sustainable living, which also include vegetarianism, organic food, keeping the thermostat no higher than 65 in the winter, having a roommate, etc. This doesn’t mean that our home is some unwelcoming go green or die boot camp. Rather, we love to practice hospitality and open up our home.
5. On a seasonal note, it takes me at least 12 hours to decorate our Christmas Tree because I have a crap ton of vintage ornaments and I meticulously wrap each branch in lights (I bet that amount of lights totally cancels out our sustainable living attempts). In order to save my wrists and fingers from the hours of poking and prodding by the live tree, I wear gardening gloves secured with rubber bands. Why do I torture myself like this? Insanity.
6. In 5th grade, I won my school’s DARE essay contest and had to read my piece in front of the entire student body along with the other winners. When the medal I won was placed on my neck (Olympics-style), the ribbon caught on one of my HUMONGOUS ears. I have since grown into my ears somewhat but I still have the Arwen point on the left, which is pretty cool because a lot of people think I look like Liv Tyler.
7. I am currently trying to wean myself off of Luna Bars and other sources of junky soy protein isolate. Just when you thought I couldn’t get any more restrictive with my eating habits, I can! But don’t worry, I still love me some occasional Dairy Queen.
8. My house, purchased from the original owners, was built in 1973. The retired couple loved gardening something fierce. This past summer, our fifth one there, was the first time we cultivated the garden. My best friend did most of the work. Before that, besides the raspberry patch, the garden became a jungle each summer. I blame our grad school careers. Our biggest success this summer was probably green beans. Austin recently read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and is now pumped to turn our entire yard into a garden (and to make our own cheese, and to raise our own eggs, etc.).
9. I love to watch Family Feud while running on the treadmill. Something about everyone clapping to the music and the audience refrain pumps me up. What is wrong with me? As important as I know working out is, I’d much rather be cuddling on the couch with my two cats Spooky & Sophie.